Green-apple-leaders are hard, sour, and useless. The best they offer is cramps and diarrhea. They feel successful because they hang from apple trees. But really, they’re a pain.
You’re a green-apple-leader if you:
- Are consumed with desire. You feel good about the ache in your heart to make a difference but there’s no dirt under your nails.
- Console yourself with complaining. If leadership is complaining, you’re awesome.
- Know! Empty-headed green-apple-leaders have the gift of certainty.
- Compare yourself with mediocrity. It’s so affirming to focus on those who are worse than you.
- Congratulate yourself on past accomplishments. You repeat the same old success story. Everyone rolls their eyes.
- Let anger control you.
- Struggle to accept reality. Green-apple-leaders are great at half reality. La-la land begins when problems are out there.
Green apple leaders drag down and feel good doing it.
7 things all ripe leaders do:
- Own! Everyone who doesn’t own, blames.
- Accept reality before trying to change it. If you think this is easy, you haven’t done it.
- Always struggle, sweat, and get dirty. The armchair is for green-apple-leaders who’ve arrived.
- Concentrate on what can be done not what can’t.
- Define and step toward better. Green-apple-leaders struggle with safe issues they can’t change. Worse yet, they won’t move till the stars align. Perfection is their comfortable excuse.
- Think about how far to go not how far you’ve come.
- Open your grip generously. Green-apple-leaders are small-hearted, white-knuckled hoarders.
Unlike green-apple-leaders, ripe leaders generate optimism.
5 steps toward ripe:
- Never complain if you aren’t going to do something about it. Never!
- Always include others.
- Concentrate on how far you have to go, not how far you’ve come.
- Be a learn-it-all not a know-it-all.
- Grow others.
All leaders are part green. Those who don’t know they’re green give people cramps and diarrhea.
What marks of green-apple-leaders can you add?
Why do some leaders ripen while others stay green?