10 Ways to Change the Future Today
Those who wait for the future to change repeat the present. The only way to change tomorrow is to change today.
The future changes today.
“If you do what you’ve always done,
you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”
Break the isolation that solidifies the present. The future is people. Find your future by connecting and serving people today.
I reach out to people I don’t know every week. I tell them I’d like to learn more about them and what they do. Could we talk on the phone or skype? They usually say yes.
Thirty minutes on the phone learning about someone changes me. Sometimes it changes them, too.
10 ways to change the future today:
- Send a thank you email with no strings attached.
- Two minute drill – Take out a notepad, make two columns and write down your joys and frustrations.
- Give something away.
- Identify one thing that would make this day better and do it.
- Rather than meeting one-on-one in the office, schedule a walking meeting.
- Ask someone from another department to join your meetings.
- Make a “NOT to-do list” – Things you won’t do today – For example: complain.
- Take an alternate path or road to common destinations or use the stairs.
- Rearrange your office.
- Pick up the phone and call someone you haven’t connected with for ages.
Disdain for small change leaves you stuck today. The “giant leap” approach often lands face down in the mud.
Forget about changing the future. The future is now.
What keeps people stuck?
What other suggestions do you have for getting out of ruts?