15 Techniques That Build Loyal Followers
Surround yourself with people who will walk through hell with you.
“I used to love my job, they said, but not anymore.”
“What happened,” I asked?
“The old boss left. I’d do anything for the old boss. Now, I’m just putting in my time.”
You earn it:
Loyalty is always earned, it is never a gift.
You can invite loyalty but you can’t demand it.
How to earn loyalty:
- Enable other’s success.
- Leverage other’s strengths.
- Improve other’s performance.
- Adopt high standards.
- Correct and discipline.
- Answer public challenges publicly.
- Give meaning to tasks.
- Stand behind people when they screw up.
- Admit when you are wrong.
- Be emotionally steady.
- Clearly describe what you want.
- Model behaviors you expect.
- Share the spotlight.
- Don’t be a buddy.
- Make it easy to get things done.
Bonus: Believe you deserve loyalty.
People want to be loyal to a person, cause, or organization that deserves loyalty. Expressing loyalty is a noble act that enhances our feelings of worth and gives meaning to life.
What invites loyalty?