12 Ways to Thrive Under Stress
Talking about stress is stressful. It’s one more problem to solve. But, ignoring it never resolves it. Stress builds up.
Disproportionate reactions indicate stress build-up.
Mary says, “Would you mind handing me that pencil?” Bob responds in anger, “You’re always asking for something. Get it yourself!” “Sheesh!”
Over 50% of the workforce feels:
- Overwhelmed by workload.
- Too many tasks prevent them from completing tasks.
- There’s no time for self-reflection.
Beware! Stress manifests physically, relationally, emotionally, and mentally. It’s not all bad, however.
4 Stress benefits
Healthy doses of stress:
- Energize and motivate.
- Enhance concentration. But, too much distracts.
- Produce great results. Stress brings out your best.
- Make you feel you matter.
Stephen Covey said, “Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us.”
12 stress tips
- Acknowledge that it eventually becomes, “I can’t take any more.”
- Make lists. Anxiety that something fell through the cracks causes stress.
- Take ownership. Blaming is stressful.
- See it. Seeing stress helps solve stress. Listen to feedback from your body, for example.
- Manage don’t control. Controlling stress creates stress.
- Welcome stress that brings out your best. It’s your friend.
- Engage in stress relieving activities.
- Accept what won’t change. Don’t fight it.
- Say no.
- Find support.
I don’t want to cause more stress, but it kills you if you don’t deal with it.
Which stress tips are most useful?
How do you deal with stress?